Thursday, March 22, 2012

A fair-haired boy on the reef


Now that we have been here on this island for a couple of weeks everything starts to get worse. The littluns fear an imaginary beast and the begins, even Ralph, fear Jack. But it is another thing that makes me feel afraid, today they Jack, his hunters and Ralph did something that reminded me of religious rites. They danced and chanted and pretended that Roger was a pig and pretended to stab him with their wooden spears.

 Robert cried with fear but they didn’t seem to care. Even Ralph, who is one of the more intelligent ones on this island, took part in this game. Today there was a kind of excitement in the air that drove people mad. What would they do if they had really killed him? Would they even care? And, yet more important, what are they able to do? Will they really take a littlun, like Jack said? Will they kill a human being? I hope that we will be rescued soon. I can’t cope with this any longer. To be on an island together with foolish boys who think that they are adults and that their actions are reasonable. I don’t know how to tell them any longer that we won’t be rescued if there is no fire on the mountain. And there will be no fire as long as they believe that there is a beast on the mountain.

How can I show them that the beast only exists in their imagination? That the only beast in this island is some of us? What can I do to help the littluns and Piggy? Jack has changed so dramatically! Once he was a calm and friendly boy and now everyone fears him. I am too weak for this burden… I am too weak to stop him. What can I do? I don’t know! I think that something really dangerous will happen in the next few days if nothing important changes.  
Love
Ralph

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Tatera; I appreciate how your letter truly encapsulated the voice of Ralph here. Well done, overall. I look forward to following your blog and reading updated letters from Ralph. I'd like to see your Ralph focus his letters on the conflicts that are going on between him and Jack. Also, I'd like to hear more of what he truly thinks about Piggy.
    -Mr. Kuijper

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mr.Kuijper I have finished all of my journal entries for lord of the flies you will enjoy reading it.

    ReplyDelete