Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Shadows and Tall Trees


Dear Mother,
Character Journal Chapter 7

We almost had it! We almost had the pig! I had speared it in the nose, but it got away anyway. Stupid I for letting it go like that. He’s not a true hunter. But I was so proud of myself anyway, kept going on about how he speared the pig and whatnot. Well newsflash we’ve actually killed a pig before. So there! Ha on me! Anyway, after we speared the pig and it cough got away thanks to someone cough me. We were all annoyed, for obvious reasons. Then someone I think it was Robert suggested we act out spearing the pig again. It was a really fun game, and we got super into it. But I guess we got a little too into it because soon Robert was screaming in pain. He tried to be brave about it later though. Complained about his bum or something. Then I had this brilliant idea that we make it a ritual. We could have someone dress up as the pig and, you know, act and pretend to knock me over and stuff. But then Robert says we need a real pig for that ‘cost it has to be killed. Who needs pigs? Just use a littluns.

 It’s not like they do anything useful. All they do is eat, sleep, and play all day long. If I had my way I’d banish them to the other side of the island, quick as a wink. They’re a burden on all of us and I honestly don’t see why Ralph bothers about them. Speaking of them, or should I say, His Royal Highness did I mention that he was the one to let the pig go? And I may have mentioned this once, or twice, or maybe a gazillion times but I seriously hate the guy. I do, honestly. Maybe the sensible thing would be to talk it over with him, but those guys so dead set on his ideas that I doubt he would listen to me. Anyway, who needs talking? Just follow your instinct and you’ll turn out all right. Maybe not clean, but all right. We’re all absolutely filthy. I think Ralph noticed this too, ‘cost he was kind of eyeing his clothes, then ours while on the hunt. Oh well. I guess that comes from being stranded on a deserted island that usually over 100 degrees.

By the way, we saw the beastie today. Much as I hate to admit I was wrong, the beastie does in fact exist. Nearly ran into it I did. A gust of wind came by right at that moment, and I guess it smelled me or something ‘cost it sat right up and stared at me. It was dark at the time. Might just have been a trick of the moonlight, but I don’t think so. It was just like Samneric described. Big black eyes, huge teeth, monstrous claws… ugh it was absolutely horrid. Naturally as soon as I saw it I bolted down the hill to tell Ralph and Roger or was it Maurice? what I had found. You should have seen them run. Like little rabbits they were. Anyway, we all turned and fled down the mountain, and luckily I’m still here to tell the tale. We all are actually, but that’s beside the point. But we really need to hunt, and soon. So sorry about this but I might not write as often. A busy fellow like me who’s about to get even busier doesn’t have time to just sit down and record the day in a journal. So now I am signing off, maybe for the last time.

Signed,
Ralph

No comments:

Post a Comment